Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Statement on Digital Manipulation

Robert Christopher Photography statement on beauty and digital manipulation

Your Story, My Passion

Last modified: 4/6/08

I recognize the impact photos have on society’s definition of beauty and women. The excessive and sometimes extreme digital manipulation of photos, in my opinion, has caused an unrealistic expectation of women to be something they are not. I believe that not all women fit into one category and in fact that there are many faces, sizes, cultures, and ethnicities represented throughout the world that deserve to be equally portrayed in society. Therefore, in order to place my beliefs into action, I and any contractor or client I work with will abide by the following standards:

  1. Achieve a portrait of beauty via creative lighting, poses, framing/composition, and themed concepts.
  2. Will not digitally alter a talent’s body structure (changing the shape of one’s body, facial expression, position of facial features). We may, depending on the project, edit a model blemishes and tattoos.
  3. Will seek out talent from diverse backgrounds for all projects.
  4. Will actively seek out opportunities, clients, projects and not for profits campaigns that wish accurately portray women.
  5. Will only photograph glamour in a fashion or artistic approach.

No comments: